Estimate your appraisal mileage in seconds
Get Mileage Estimator each year for the most current appraisal mileage estimates.
After all, as tax season approaches, vehicle costs are on your mind. You’re probably tallying incomplete handwritten mileage logs, guesstimating, and wishing you kept more detailed records. That’s where Mileage Estimator is a lifesaver. In seconds, it turns your entire 2015, 2014, 2013, or 2012 WinTOTAL and TOTAL databases of signed or inspected reports into a customizable spreadsheet with mileage totals, fuel consumption, fuel expense, and even vehicle tax deduction estimates.
Always know how much your drive time really costs
Tax time may be when you really dive into vehicle costs, but that’s a mistake. In the course of running your appraisal practice, you need to make difficult decisions based on your vehicle expenses. How much should you add to your minimum base fees to cover your average auto expense? How much would you save if you switch to a more fuel-efficient vehicle? Is it time to rethink your coverage areas, or at least your fees in outlying areas?
With Mileage Estimator, you’ll get a report that answers those questions and more. Having your previous year’s details on an appraisal-by-appraisal basis in a single spreadsheet gives you the information you need to make profit-boosting decisions right now. Since we put the results in a nicely formatted Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, you can add all sorts of additional calculations, search and sort, break it down by area, and so on – without having to do all the original record-keeping on the reports.
Tools for making smart business decisions
- Create reports for every appraiser in your office — Create mileage reports for all appraisers in your office or on an individual basis. It’s perfect for larger offices or even if there are just two of you. In the first tab of the report, you’ll see the combined estimates and the additional tabs filter by individuals.
- IRS mileage rates — You can choose to base your mileage reports on the IRS’ standard deduction rate per mile driven or by gallon price in your area.
- Generate reports for the full year or a specific date range — Create mileage reports for the entire year or for any date range within the calendar year. Build daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, or custom-date mileage reports, which are essential when comparing expense from one period to another.
- Unused comps are included too — Since you drive to comps that don’t make it into your report, we added an option to include all comps in your Workfile in the estimates. That way, you’ll have much more realistic figures to work from. (See how to add comps that don’t make the cut to your Spectrum Workfile automatically here.)
- Calculate your mileage for previous years — If you own Mileage Estimator for 2012, 2013, or 2014, compare mileage reports between years. This helps detect changes in expenses year over year or on specific date ranges.
Consistent estimates give
you peace of mind
For every report included, Mileage Estimator maps the distance from your office to the subject property and all of the comps on an assignment, by using GeoCoding and route calculation, just like your GPS. You can even include unused comparables from the Workfile as well. From there, the fuel and standard deduction sums show up in one customizable, easy-to-read Excel spreadsheet (complete with links to the driving directions used).
You’ll have peace of mind knowing everything is calculated the same way, which reduces the likelihood of mistakes that result in inaccurate decisions.
Your tax pro will thank you
The “highest and best use” of Mileage Estimator is as a management tool to help you run your business. However, the spreadsheet is incredibly valuable for your tax professional as they’re calculating your vehicle deductions. Even if you have detailed receipts for tax time (do you really?), this gives you the ability to prove the reasonableness of your logs – it’s easy to show that an appraiser drives a LOT of miles per year purely for business. And if you don’t have perfect receipts (like most real humans), your report provides a reasonable basis for using estimated drive times and potentially significant deductions. Think of it as the “customary and reasonable” measuring stick for vehicle mileage. It’s almost impossible for your real mileage to be lower. You drove to those subjects and those comps, and we show how much mileage it would have contributed to your car even if you did it with maximum GPS routing efficiency.
Of course, you retain complete customizable control over the mileage estimates on a report-by-report basis, and can edit, add to, or subtract from the generated list as you see fit. Once you’ve verified everything and made your tweaks, simply send it to your tax preparer and let them decide how to work out the best options for you. They’ll be thankful, and amazed at the detail.
Easy as 1-2 (there’s not even a 3)
It would be easy to assume that getting so much information would be hard work. But it’s not.
- After you’ve bought and downloaded Mileage Estimator from the link in your e-mail, launch it from your Start menu
- Once you’ve specified which WinTOTAL and TOTAL folders to look at and customized your options, click Export.
That’s it! Your Mileage Estimator spreadsheet is ready.
At just $49, our Mileage Estimator is a no brainer. Get it now.